Skip to content Skip to main navigation
Site map Arabic Urdu Slovenian Farsi Chinese French

Agenda and minutes

Housing Market Renewal Pathfinder
Wednesday, 1st August, 2007 9.30 a.m.

Venue: Town Hall, Moorgate Street, Rotherham

Contact: Dawn Mitchell 822062 Email: dawn.mitchell@rotherham.go.vuk 

Items
No. Item

1.

Exclusion of the Press and Public

Resolved:-  That, under Section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act 1972, the press and public be excluded from the meeting for the following items of business on the grounds that they involve the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in Paragraph 3  of Part I of Schedule 12A to the Local Government Act 1972 (information relating to the financial or business affairs of any person (including the Council))

Minutes:

Resolved:-  That, under Section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act 1972, the press and public be excluded from the meeting for the following items of business on the grounds that they involve the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in Paragraph 3 of Part I of Schedule 12A to the Local Government Act 1972 (information relating to the financial or business affairs of any person (including the Council)).

2.

Minutes of meeting held on 19th March, 2007

Minutes:

Agreed:-  The minutes of the meeting held on 19th March, 2007, be approved as a true record.

3.

ADF Chairs' Reports

- Rawmarsh and Parkgate ADF

- Rotherham East

- Wath and Swinton

- Rotherham West

- Town Centre

Minutes:

The respective HMR Managers gave the following reports:-

 

Wath and Swinton

A presentation had recently been made to Ward Members on the options for Wath and Swinton Town Centres highlighting a number of challenges for the Council given their continuing decline.  Officers had been requested to co-ordinate a clear business case to present to Council on the key actions for the next 3 years.  Discussion was taking place with Planning on the options and fit with the LDF process.

 

Discussion ensued on the Spatial Strategy and the spending review.  As part of pulling together the 2008/11 Delivery Plan, work needed to take place on all projects/areas so that when it came to prioritising projects, all the background information was known.

 

Agreed:-  (1)  That a report be submitted to the September meeting to enable further discussion to take place.

 

(2)  That a working group be established along similar lines to that working on Bellows Road.

 

Rotherham West

An open weekend had recently been held at Henley Rise with expressions of interest received for either renting or buying a share in the properties.  The expected completion date for the development was October, 2007.

 

Development had commenced on 71 units at C3, Canklow.  An official “turf cutting” event had taken place on 30th July, 2007.

 

West Central – consultants appointed to look at developing a Sustainable Action Plan and Development Appraisal.  The first stage report to be received by the end of August.

 

The first meeting of the St. John’s Green project management group had been convened.

 

Work had started on site at Fernbank site for the development of 17 affordable housing units..

4.

Wath Regeneration Area

- presentation by Barry Deakin, HMR Manager, and Nigel Graham, Northern Counties Housing Association

Minutes:

A powerpoint presentation was given by Nigel Graham, Head of Regeneration, Northern Counties Housing Association as follows:-

 

White Bear Estate and Denman Road

-              1,000 new houses within Wath over the next 4 years

 

Progress Review

-              Decent Homes Programme

-              Selection of NCHA

-              Consultation

-              Development partner

-              Part of long term project

 

Development Objectives

-              Fitting with other Programmes

-              Testing the market

-              Developing partnerships

-              Advantage of RSL led development

 

Regeneration Principles

-              Inclusive balanced communities

-              Design

-              Efficient

-              Safe and secure

-              Sustainable, holistic regeneration

 

Community Benefits

-              Governance

-              Training and learning

-              Maximise land receipts

-              Community land trusts

 

Delivery Concerns

-              Planning

-              Land acquisition

-              Release of sites

-              Funding

 

Next Steps

-              Detailed consultation

-              Land transfer agreement

-              Construction

-              Phased planning submission

 

Discussion ensued with a number of concerns raised regarding to planning permission for a greenfield site which could impact on the scheme and funding received.

 

Agreed:-  That a meeting be held with the relevant Councillors to discuss this matter further.

5.

Brampton Neighbourhood Masterplan

- presentation by Barry Deakin, HMR Manager

Minutes:

Barry Deakin, HMR Manager, gave a powerpoint presentation on the 3 key concepts identified by the consultants:-

 

Communicating with DearneValley

Sustainable living

Finding a new Village focus

 

Emerging from the consultation that had been carried out:-

 

-              Identifying Delivery Champion

-              Housing stock condition survey

-              HMR activity

-              Issues surrounding the fire station site

-              Village Green concept

-              Supporting gateways and Cortonwood connections

 

Deliverable 1

-              Appointing a senior officer for delivery of the masterplan

-              Benefits of post

-              Set agenda

-              Preliminary activity and driving the change

 

Deliverable 2

-              Stock condition survey

 

Deliverable 3

-              Fire station site

 

Deliverable 4

-              The Village Green

 

Deliverable 5

-              Gateways

 

Deliverable 6

-              Cortonwood Connections

 

Next Steps

-              Final consultations with Programme Areas and partners – July, 2007

-              Presentation to the Brampton Sub-Group – August, 2007

-              Formal sign off with Wath and Swinton Steering Group – August, 2007

-              Report to Cabinet Members – September, 2007

-              Formal Project Team to look at developing the Deliverables – September, 2007

 

Agreed:-  That the presentation be noted.

6.

Eastwood Neighbourhood Masterplan

- presentation by Kalpana Desai, HMR Manager

Minutes:

Kalpana Desai, HMR Manager, gave a powerpoint presentation on the vision for Eastwood as presented to the ADF Steering Group:-

 

Fitzwilliam Road

Issues and Challenges

-              Balancing strategic and local needs

-              Enabling neighbourhood centre to flourish

-              Safe and attractive pedestrian environment

-              Improving air quality

-              Improving quality of environment

-              Redefining corridor and gateways whilst protecting character

 

Objectives

-              An attractive vibrant spine through Eastwood that creates a high quality of environment for communities to use and interact

-              A well defined corridor with a mix of uses and activities including a strong and accessible neighbourhood centre

-              A strategic road corridor that provides ease of movement and access to/from and through Eastwood

 

Eastwood Middle

Issues and Challenges

-              Meeting current and future housing needs

-              Diversifying size and type of housing

-              Diversifying tenure

-              Improving quality of environment

-              Improving access to local amenities and open space

-              Tackling ASB and crime

 

Objectives

-              An improved quality of environment including boundaries, gardens and parking

-              A diversified family housing area with a mix of house types and tenure

-              Easy access to range of high quality local shops and facilities, open space and public transport

-              A cohesive and well managed community that it not blighted by issues of poor tenants and anti-social behaviour

 

EastwoodVillage

Issues and Challenges

-              Meeting specific community housing needs

-              Altering house type and size

-              Improving internal condition of homes

-              Improving the quality of environment

-              Overcoming barriers to movement

-              Mitigating impact of local industry

-              Improving use of open spaces

-              Managing tenants and landlords

-              Tackling ASB and crime

 

Objectives

-        Support recent investment in the area

-        An improved quality of environment including traffic, parking and space

-        An area that retains its traditional character but also provides a larger choice of housing

-        A cohesive and well managed community that is not blighted by issues of poor tenants and anti-social behaviour

 

Conclusions

-              Potentially attractive and sustainable area

-              Number of challenges to overcome

-              Needs strong delivery strategy and partner support

-              Masterplan presents a series of clearly defined projects to regenerate the area – robust, deliverable and effective

 

Agreed:-  That the presentation be noted.

7.

Bellows Road Update

- Report by Andy Pashley, HMR Manager, Rawmarsh/Parkgate

Minutes:

Further to Minute No. 134 of 19th March, 2007, a further update on progress was given on the above site.

 

The report covered project definition, internal property valuation, planning policy framework, delivering design quality initiative and developer procurement.

 

The progress of negotiations would be reviewed shortly to assess capacity to spend the funding allocation.  Mitigation action had been undertaken with a number of reserve projects developed for rapid implementation should spend on the acquisition of Bellows Road not be realised within the current financial year.

 

Agreed:-  That the report be noted.

8.

Deed of Variation

- report of Joel Gouget, HMR Finance Manager

Minutes:

The HMR Finance Manager submitted, for information, a report that had been considered by the Cabinet Member for Neighbourhoods (Minute No. 22 of 2nd July, 2007).

 

Approval had been sought to sign the Deed of Variation relating to the funding agreement for implementation of the South Yorkshire Housing Market Renewal Pathfinder.  The Deed, presented by DCLG, amended the initial funding agreement signed by the South Yorkshire local authorities in September, 2006.

 

The document had already been signed by Doncaster and Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Councils.

 

Agreed:-  That the report be noted.

9.

Westgate Demonstrator

- M. Shires , Implementation Team Manager

Minutes:

Mike Shires, Implementation Manager, submitted a progress report on the Westgate Demonstrator Project.

 

Discussion ensued on the 5 sites and the funding implications associated with delays/non-starters.  There were a number of accelerated projects that could be brought in to take up any funding; the problem would lay with the loss of outputs

 

Agreed:-  (1)  That the progress to date be noted.

 

(2)  That the HMR Team Leader inform Transform South Yorkshire of the latest situation.

10.

Housing Market Renewal Pathfinder Financial Monitoring

- report by Joel Gouget, Finance Manager

Minutes:

Joel Gouget, Finance Manager, submitted the financial monitoring of the Pathfinder Programme in 2006/07 as at the end of May, 2007.

 

As at the end of March, 2007, the Programme had delivered £7.6M of investment and achieved spend and delivery targets set for the 2006/07 period.  The current spending plan was set to deliver an additional £10.6M of interventions by the end of March, 2008.

 

Risks on the Westgate Demonstrator were closely monitored.

 

A short powerpoint presentation was given on accelerated projects to pick up any shortfall on strategic acquisitions and in the town centre.

 

Agreed:-  (1)  That the report be noted.

 

(2)  That a further report be submitted to the September meeting.

11.

Canklow Option Appraisal Update

- report by Uzma Sattar, HMR Manager, Rotherham West

Minutes:

Further to Minute No. 135 of 19th March, 2007, Uzma Sattar, HMR Manager, Rotherham West, submitted a report on the consultation that had taken place by consultants and the HMR Team.

 

The consultation undertaken by the consultants had highlighted conflicting views/opinions amongst the residents split between satisfaction with their homes and support for demolition and provision of new homes.  The HMR consultation had shown the majority in favour of demolition, followed by maintenance of the properties and lastly selective demolition.

 

3 options for the future were set out in the report with associated costings where applicable i.e. do nothing, refurbishment and development and clearance and redevelopment.

 

Taking a decision on transformational change resulted in implications for the whole Pathfinder Programme in terms of capital and an ability to rehouse residents.  There was felt to be a need to agree priorities across each ADF to ensure the ability to deliver simultaneous interventions within existing and future resource constraints.  Uncertainty over the level of HMR capital resources in the next funding period was also a complicating factor.

 

Agreed:-  (1)  That the report and progress being made in the study area be noted.

 

(2)  That an ADF Chairs workshop be held to agree priorities for investment across the HMR Pathfinder Programme.

12.

TSY Board

- verbal update on any Board decisions

Minutes:

There were no decisions to report.

13.

Date of Next Meeting

Minutes:

Agreed:-  That consideration be given to postponing the next meeting until the end of September and to be in the form of a workshop.