Skip to content Skip to main navigation
Site map Arabic Urdu Slovenian Farsi Chinese French

Councillor John Turner

Not currently an elected councillor.

Party: Conservative

Term of office

  • 07/05/2004 - 04/05/2012

Additional Information



Wellgate Primary School
Rotherham Grammar School
Rotherham Technical College
Sheffield University


Member of the Royal Society of Chemistry.Associate of Sheffield University in Fuel Technology and Chemical Engineering.
Later member of the Institute of Energy and Chartered Engineer.
Fellow of the Institute of Sales and Marketing Managers.

Work Experience:

Held various positions in the Central Electricity Generating Board, culminating as a Senior Commissioning Chemist.
In 1972 left the Board and started my own business, Turner Hire & Sales Ltd. Hiring and Selling a wide range of tools and Industrial Tools.
Built and sometime ran Shipmates Public House and Nightclub.


Married to Lynne Turner, Lynne was head of P.E. at Spurley Hey School and later became a Director of Turner Hire. Four Children: Natalie, Tim, Richard and Kate.


One time member of 616 squadron Royal Auxiliary Air Force. Lieutenant in Rotherham Sea Cadet Corps.

Involved for many years in local operatic societies.Ex president of Thurcroft Theatre Group.

Member of Royal Naval Sailing Association.

Long time involvement in Rotherham Rugby Club, ex-committee member and Sponsors Secretary.

Member of Wickersley Parish Council.

Conservative Councillor, Hellaby Ward, Rotherham Borough Council.   

Membership of Board for Citizens Advice Bureau

Colleague Councillors:

My co-councillors for this ward are Cllr Brian Cutts and Cllr Lynda Donaldson.

If you have a concern that you feel we may be able to help you with, please communicate - even anonymously!

Notification of Personal Interests

Councillors will represent you regardless of political persuasion. This site has been provided to the councillor by Rotherham Borough Council. It has been provided subject to an Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) that this councillor has agreed to. If you think that this site is not being used according to the AUP, you can tell the Council.