Contact: Debbie Pons, Governance Adviser The webcast can be viewed at http://www.rotherham.public-i.tv
· Changes to the Use Classes Order and new Permitted Development Rights (Pages 1-7)
· Consultation on Changes to Planning Policy and Regulations (Page 8)
· Government White Paper - Planning for the Future (Pages 9-12)
· Lichfields - Guide to Changes to the Use Classes Order in England (Page 13)
The Chair welcomed everyone to the meeting. He explained the purpose for inviting all Members and how this meeting would entirely focus on the proposed changes to the planning system and the White Paper Consultation. He, therefore, invited Emma Ottewell, Planning Manager, to give a presentation on the detail and would invite questions from Members immediately following.
The presentation drew attention to:-
· Proposed changes to the Planning System.
· Amendments to the Use Classes.
· General Permitted Development Order amendments.
· White Paper Consultation.
· White Paper – Local Plans.
· New Design Code Body.
· Digital Planning.
· Developer Contributions.
· Additional Consultation and the changes – open until 1st October, 2020.
A question and answer session ensued and the following issues were raised and subsequently clarified:-
- Future of the Community Infrastructure Levy and Section 106 Contributions.
- Potential to unbalance street scenes and character of communities.
- Effects on Parish Councils.
- Concerns for infrastructure development and progress.
- Increase in the use of brownfield land.
- Disadvantages to Parish Councils and the impact on Local Plan.
- Impact on Planning Services.
- Affect on affordability and potential avoidance of restrictions by developers.
- Timeline for implementation and timeframe for temporary changes.
- General Permitted Development Order changes to allow upward extensions.
- Prior notification process.
- Flexibility in the Use Classes.
- Planning for the future.
- Positive land value negotiations and affordable housing.
- Equalities and breadth of flexibility.
The Chair thanked all Members for their attendance and participation in this training/consultation meeting which would see a huge review of Planning policy. He urged Members to share information and respond to the consultation to exercise their democratic voice.
Resolved:- (1) That the Planning Manager be thanked for her informative presentation.
(2) That Members be urged to formally respond to the Consultation.
Date of next meeting
Resolved:- That the next meeting of the Planning Board take place on Thursday, 24th September, 2020 at 9.00 a.m.