Venue: Committee Room 1 - Rotherham Town Hall. View directions
Contact: Natasha Aucott, Governance Advisor
Appointment of Chair
To appoint a Chair of SACRE for the 2023/24 academic year.
Resolved:- That Hannah Lambert be appointed Chair for the 2023/2024 Academic Year.
(Hannah Lambert in the Chair)
Appointment of Vice Chair
To appoint a Vice-Chair of SACRE for the 2023/24 academic year
Resolved:- That Tricia Williams be appointed Vice-Chair for the 2023/2024 Academic Year.
Declarations of Interest
To receive declarations of interest from any members with respect to an item of business.
There were no declarations of interest.
Exclusion of Press and Public
To determine whether any items on the agenda require the exclusion of members of the public or press.
There were no matters of business for which it was deemed necessary to exclude members of the public or press.
To review and approve the minutes of the previous meeting held on 23rd March 2023 as a true and accurate record of the proceedings.
Arising from Minute No. 5 (Rotherham SACRE Development Plan), the following was discussed and noted:
• The development plan covered the period of April 2023 to April 2024.
• The objective to develop RE subject knowledge for Rotherham primary teachers and subject leaders would continue into the next academic year.
• The objective to develop range of resources for use by schools was discussed. Vanessa Gregory suggested that SACRE could use their funding to purchase a box of resources for each curriculum taught religion, the boxes would then be loaned out to primary and secondary schools on a request basis.
• It was discussed whether there should be a box for every religion. It was suggested that this year SACRE purchase boxes for the 6 main curriculum taught religions, with the intention of expanding this option to more religions next year.
• It was discussed that SACRE could also purchase some CPD books to be loaned out to staff members at schools.
• The objective to develop content for RE platforms was discussed, it was advised that it should be ensured that teachers are signposted to all of the good quality online resources available.
• The objective to review and carry out determinations for collective worship was discussed. The idea was proposed of an open question and answer session being delivered with a range of religious individuals representing each faith.
• The objective to increase SACRE membership was discussed and members agreed to continue to promote SACRE membership.
• It was advised that the following objectives would be added to the SACRE development plan:
o The REwards ceremony
o Discussion around Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) and how SEND can be included within the plan.
1) That the minutes from the last meeting on 23 March 2023 were approved as a true and accurate record of the proceedings.
2) That the level of funding available to SACRE, including the amount rolled over from the previous academic year will be clarified to members at the next SACRE meeting.
3) SACRE will purchase a range of resource boxes for each curriculum taught religion out of this year’s funding.
4) That the two suggested additions to the SACRE development plan as listed above will be added to the plan.
5) A resource list will be created to provide to Forge to be added to their website.
6) A list of non-academies will be provided to the Chair in relation to determinations for collective worship.
New Member Nominations
To consider and approve new member nominations.
The Chair invited nominations for new members. N. Choudry was nominated.
1) That the nomination be approved.
CPD Training Update
To receive an update on CPD Training.
An update was provided on CPD training update and the following was discussed:
• An update on CPD Training was provided by members. There was a discussion regarding the move away from the world view focus of religious education and a move towards looking at the world view of individual students.
• The Chair discussed their schools Statutory Inspection of Anglican and Methodist Schools (SIAMS) and advised that the inspection looked at how the school teaches world views and develops children’s world beliefs, with a particular focus on ensuring children are given personal time to reflect on what they have been taught and to establish their own beliefs.
1) That the update be noted.
REwards Nominations Update
To receive an update on the nominations received for the REwards.
An update was provided on the REwards Nominations. The following was discussed:
• Information on the REwards Cermony and nomination process had been sent out to all schools in the borough and there was no response from those schools.
• A discussion took place around the process of distribution of the REwaeds Cermony information through the school and whether this had taken place.
• It was advised that there were only two nominations received and these were from previous Reward attendees from the previous year.
• The REwards ceremony event was cancelled due to the lack of nominations received.
• Discussions took place around hosting a network session with schools teaching GCSE Religious Education and SACRE members agreed this would be a good approach.
• The REwards ceremony will take place next year.
1) That the update be noted.
2) That Vanessa would host a networking session with schools teaching GCSE Religious Education.
3) Liza would be added to the distribution list for primary school meetings.
Future Meetings Dates- Including REwards Ceremony
To discuss and agree the meetings for the next academic year, including the REwards ceremony date.
There was a discussion around the meetings set for the next academic year and it was advised that not all members could make the current meeting dates. The following dates were agreed:
• Tuesday 19th September at 4pm
• Thursday 7th December at 4pm
• Tuesday 19th March at 4pm.
1) That the future meeting dates as listed above are agreed.
To determine any items which the Chair is of the opinion should be considered as a matter of urgency.
There was no items of urgent business.
Date and Time of Next Meeting
The next meeting of the Rotherham Standing Advisory Council for Religious Education will be held on 21st September commencing at 4pm.
That the next meeting of the Rotherham Standing Advisory Council for Religious Education will be held on Tuesday 19th September commencing at 4pm.