Venue: Town Hall, Moorgate Street, ROTHERHAM. S60 2TH
Contact: Debbie Pons, Principal Democratic Services Officer
Consideration was given to the minutes of the previous meeting of the Transport Liaison Group, held on 25th March, 2015.
Agreed:- That the minutes of the previous meeting be approved as a correct record for signature by the Chairman.
1) First Group
3) South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive
4) Rotherham Community Transport
5) Northern Rail
6) Robin Hood Airport - Consultative Committee meeting - minutes of the meeting held on 16 April 2015 (pages 7 to 12)
(1) First Group – There were no major alterations to services. The First buses would have a new livery and the Company is also investing in new vehicles. The Company continues to participate extensively in the Crucial Crew training of Year 6 school pupils and also elderly persons, in respect of public transport safety. Sessions take place at the Lifewise Centre, Hellaby. Drivers have received awareness-raising training in respect of the risks of child sexual exploitation.
(2) Stagecoach – The services 108 and 109 (Rawmarsh circular) will have reduced frequencies of 15 minutes, with effect from the end of June 2015. Services affecting Conisbrough and Doncaster have been delayed as a consequence of extensive roadworks in that area. Drivers have received awareness-raising training in respect of the risks of child sexual exploitation. The Company is investing in new vehicles and will replace almost half of the fleet which is based at the Company’s Rawmarsh depot. The Company acknowledged the support of both the Borough Council and the SYPTE in respect of the traffic congestion and delays on highways in the Parkgate area. The alterations made recently have improved matters, although there is further progress to be made because this is still a challenging area of Rotherham’s highways network.
(3) South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive (SYPTE)
> Members were informed of the progress of the Rotherham Bus Partnership and the success being achieved in Rotherham and Sheffield is now being desired by the Councils in Doncaster and Barnsley.
> Low floor buses in the County now account for 99% of all buses, with the remaining few buses being used around school movements to schools outside the County.
> With effect from January 2017, all buses (not coaches) will have floor entrance floors and be accessible by people with a disability. All Single-deck buses will be low floor and accessible earlier, in January 2016, with the double deck vehicles following in January 2017.
> Update on the Devolution Deal - Supported by city leaders and Government the SYPTE intends to develop bus partnerships across the County to the next level. The Devolution Deal’s public transport commitments include delivering improvements to local bus services by developing an efficient integrated bus network to meet the needs of a growing economy and one that is financially sustainable for fare payers, the taxpayer and bus operators. A simple, affordable commercial fare structure and inter-operable smart ticketing scheme; and real time information improvements across South Yorkshire are also proposed. These developments mean that the SYPTE has increased control and influence over the network and is able to offer customers better value for money “smart” tickets.
> Service/timetable alterations (which occur three times per year) are next due in September 2015. Details will be issued during July/August to Councillors, so they are aware of the changes prior to the general public being made aware.
> The SYPTE communications team has responsibility for responding to public transport enquiries from the Elected Members of local authorities. Councillors (not the general public) should use email@example.com ... view the full minutes text for item 2.
Updates from RMBC Transportation Unit
Members received details from the Transportation and Highways Projects Manager concerning the Local Highways Programme 2015/2016. The report and subsequent discussion highlighted the following key themes:-
- local safety schemes; traffic management schemes; walking and cycling schemes; smarter choices (active travel); Bikeability;
- Major projects (eg: A633 Rotherham to Parkgate and Rawmarsh);
- Sources of funding sources (some of which are diminishing), eg: the Local Transport Plan Integrated Transport Plan Block: Department of Transport grant for the delivery of local schemes; Local Sustainable Transport Fund;
- Sheffield City Region (and the devolution agenda) – grants from the Growth Fund for major infrastructure schemes;
- Sustainable Transport Exemplar Programme (STEP) – funding for local schemes;
- the imminent completion of the Pool Green highway junction improvement (A630 Centenary Way), installation of some new street lighting and the re-naming of this road junction as the ‘New York’ junction;
- proposed consultation with Ward Councillors about the details of specific highway schemes;
- co-ordination of new facilities and maintenance works (eg: Manvers Way crossing and renewal of white-lining);
- positioning of some pedestrian crossings near to traffic roundabouts and road junctions;
- responding to petitions requesting road safety facilities and/or traffic calming measures; investigations and funding of any facilities to be provided.
Members noted that the grant funding, made available by Central Government to local authorities is diminishing and there is an expectation on Highway Authorities to bid in a competitive environment for future grant funding for highways schemes.
Members were asked to use the following email address when reporting highways and transport matters : TrafficEngineering@rotherham.gov.uk.
Agreed:- That Members of the Rotherham Transport Liaison Group be provided with a copy of the Local Highways Programme 2015/2016 document.
Date and time of next meeting - Wednesday 23rd September 2015 at 2.00 pm
Agreed:- (1) That the next meeting of the RMBC Transport Liaison Group be held at the Town Hall, Rotherham on Wednesday, 23rd September, 2015, commencing at 2.00 p.m.
(2) That future meetings of the RMBC Transport Liaison Group take place on:-