Venue: Town Hall, Moorgate Street, Rotherham S60 2TH
Contact: Debbie Pons
Declarations of Interest
There were no Declarations of Interest made at this meeting.
Consideration was given to the minutes of the previous meeting of the Barnsley, Doncaster and Rotherham Joint Waste Board, held on 30th June, 2017.
Agreed:- That the minutes of the previous meeting of the BDR Joint Waste Board be approved as a correct record for signature by the Chairman.
The Barnsley, Doncaster and Rotherham Joint Waste Board noted the following issues:-
(1) the Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) Re-use scheme
The Barnsley, Doncaster and Rotherham Joint Waste Manager reported that all fourteen centres had been operating this scheme since January, 2017. Items to be re-used included televisions and other small electrical appliances and general household items, as well as items of sporting equipment such as golf clubs. There had been 25 tonnes of items recycled in the period January to June 2017 and 78 tonnes in the period April to September 2017. The scheme was proving to be popular with the general public, including the public sales that occur on a fortnightly basis at the FCC Environment waste recycling site in Conisborough, Doncaster. The money raised from such sales funds the scheme and assists local groups.
(2) Contract Issues
Members were informed that the contract is performing well (eg: 17.4% recycling rates in September 2017). The Liaison Committee had held a recent meeting on 9 October 2017.
The Barnsley, Doncaster and Rotherham Joint Waste Board considered the updated Waste PFI risk status report (risk register) which had been maintained during the various stages of the joint waste project. The report stated that thirteen risks are registered, with none to be added nor deleted since the last Joint Waste Board meeting held on 30th June, 2017.
Members discussed Risk 14 (Insurance for the BDR Waste Treatment Plant) and noted the expansion of the commercial market for this type of insurance, as well as the work of the contractor to upgrade the fire protection systems within this site.
Agreed:- That the updated information on the risk status report, as now submitted, be received.
· Contract Delivery
· Health and Safety
The Barnsley, Doncaster and Rotherham Joint Waste Manager submitted a report which highlighted and updated the following issues relating to the Joint Waste Private Finance Initiative (PFI), for the period April to August 2017:-
- The Shanks Group is rebranding as “Renewi” as a consequence of the completion of the merger with the Dutch company Van Gansewinkel;
- Table of recycling tonnes processed (April to August 2017);
- Increase in the number of complaints about flies at the Bolton Road facility (eight complaints in 2015/16 and eighteen in 2016/17); residents continue to be encouraged to wrap food waste in plastic; a draft revised Fly Management Plan has been submitted to the Environment Agency;
- Fire protection systems being upgraded at the Bolton Road facility;
- Issues affecting the Bolton Road facility and the transfer station at Grange Lane, Barnsley;
- Health and Safety;
- Finance – the Operational Management Budget Summary 2017/18;
- Waste Compositional Analysis continues;
- Resources and staffing;
- Details of the Love Food Hate Waste campaign held over eight weeks during the Summer 2017; an analysis will take place to ascertain whether food waste is reducing as a consequence of this campaign.
Agreed:- That the BDR Manager’s report be received and its contents noted.
Date, time and venue for the next meeting
: a further meeting to be held during December, 2017, on a date to be arranged.
: if necessary, a meeting shall be held during March, 2018, on a date to be arranged.
: the annual meeting is to be held on a date to be arranged during June or July, 2018.
Agreed:- (1) That the Barnsley, Doncaster and Rotherham Joint Waste Board shall continue to hold its meetings at intervals of three months, at the Town Hall, Rotherham, on Mondays commencing at 10.00 a.m. and invitations be extended to the representatives of Sheffield City Council to attend these meetings.
(2) That the next meeting of the Barnsley, Doncaster and Rotherham Joint Waste Board be held on a Monday (date to be arranged) during December, 2017 at the Town Hall, Rotherham, commencing at 10.00 a.m.
(3) That a further meeting be held during March, 2018 and the annual meeting be held during June, 2018.