Consideration was given to summary review of a Premises Licence following an application made under s.53A of the Licensing Act 2003 in relation to the Premises Licence in place at The Red Lion, Bridgegate, Rotherham, S60 1PN.
On the 21st June, 2021, Superintendent Lynn Knox had made an application on behalf South Yorkshire Police for the summary review of the Premises Licence in place at the Red Lion, Bridgegate, Rotherham. This application had been considered by the Licensing Sub-Committee on 23rd June, 2021, and the Committee determined that it was necessary to suspend the Premises Licence pending a summary review.
The application submitted by South Yorkshire Police outlined concerns regarding the following matters:
· Numerous incidents of serious crime and disorder – some involving the use of snooker cues and glasses as weapons.
· Problematic and obstructive staff and customers who reported themselves as being in charge on behalf of the owner, most of whom were drunk. There were attempts to intimidate police officers as they were carrying out their duties.
· Significant non-compliance with national legislation/guidance introduced to control the spread of Coronavirus / Covid-19 in the UK.
· Children as young as 13 being served alcohol at the premises.
The License Holder was unable to attend the meeting and was represented by Miss Butler, the Designated Premise Supervisor at the Red Lion.
The Sub-Committee heard representations from South Yorkshire Police (applicant for the summary review), Mrs. K. Ladlow (Principal Officer of the Local Authority Licensing Enforcement Unit), Ms. L. Underwood (Senior Licensing Enforcement Officer), Mr. J. Squires (Community Protection Officer) and Miss Butler (Designated Premise Supervisor on behalf of the License Holder).
1) That in the interest of upholding the licensing objectives of the prevention of crime and disorder, public safety, the prevention of public nuisance and the protection of children from harm, that the premises licence in place at The Red Lion, Bridgegate, Rotherham be revoked.
2) That the interim steps taken by the Licensing Sub-Committee on 23 June 2021 to suspend the premises licence in place at The Red Lion, Bridgegate, Rotherham remain appropriate and as such should stay in place.