The constitution document contains the rules about council decision-making and makes it clear by whom and in what circumstances those decisions can be made.
It explains procedures that allow the council’s actions to be questioned and scrutinised.
The document features:
· a summary and explanation
· articles committing the council to providing open responsive local government and leadership
· an explanation of the rights of citizens and how the key parts of the council operate
· responsibility for functions by various committees, the scrutiny commission, the executive, plus delegated powers
· rules of procedure
· codes and protocols
· members’ allowances scheme
· management structure