Title: Cabinet Member for Children and Young People
Party: Labour and Co-operative Party
Political grouping: Labour
Ward: Kilnhurst & Swinton East
Other councillors representing this Ward:
The first Saturday of each month at Swinton Library from 11am until 1pm
c/o Rotherham Town Hall
Bus. phone: 07824895314
Cabinet Member Children and Young People - Councillor Victoria Cusworth
Born and raised in Rotherham, firstly in Eastwood and then in Swinton, Councillor Cusworth is a qualified Teaching Assistant. She attended Brookfield Primary Academy and Swinton Comprehensive and then Thomas Rotherham College. Councillor Cusworth is educated to A Level standard in English Literature, Sociology and Philosophy and has a Diploma in Childhood and Youth studies
Councillor Cusworth was elected, as a Labour councillor, to represent the Swinton Ward at Rotherham Borough Council in May 2016. After having played a large part in Scrutiny, particularly of Children’s Services within the Borough since 2016, was appointed to Cabinet with responsibility for Children and Young People, following the Local Elections in May 2021 when she was successfully re-elected to represent the new ward of Kilnhurst and Swinton East.
Councillor Cusworth is a Member Peer with the Local Government Association Labour Group and has worked as a peer mentor with elected members across the country.
Areas of responsibility include:
· Statutory position as lead member for Children
· Chair of the Children and Young People’s Partnership
· Children’s Safeguarding (including neglect, abuse, CSE and CCE) and prevention and early intervention strategies
· Family intervention, fostering, adoption and looked after children including out of borough placements, corporate parenting lead
· Transitional arrangements from childhood to adulthood for young people with complex needs
· Lead member for Education and 14-19 Strategy including early years, schools, special schools, and pupil referral units
· Family Steering Group
· School Admissions and Appeals
· Early Help services including the Troubled Families agenda and youth provision
· Children and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS)
· To lead om the Domestic Abuse Strategy
Working with you to help build communities that we can all take pride in has always been a priority for the Council.
We value the contributions that people make within their local area, through volunteering and getting involved in decision making, to really make a difference for everyone who lives there. By building on the work we've already done together we can continue to find new ways to meet the challenges facing Rotherham.
Further information regarding the Kilnhurst and Swinton East ward can be found on the Council’s website.